Death toll in Italy jumps by more than 130 in the past 24 hours, as Riyadh shuts schools and universities.
The death toll from the coronavirus outbreak in Italy has jumped by at least 133 in the past 24 hours, bringing its total to 366.
Italy imposed a quarantine in Lombardy and other severely affected areas, affecting some 16 million people as it stepped up efforts to tackle Europe’s largest outbreak.
The move came as the country struggles to contain the virus’s spread, with 1,247 new cases detected in the last 24 hours – a 25 percent surge. As of Sunday, Italy confirmed 7,375 infections.
Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia, authorities locked down the eastern Qatif region in a bid to contain the fast-spreading virus. Riyadh also said it was suspending all public and private schools and
universities across the country from Monday until further notice.
Also on Sunday, Iran reported 49 new coronavirus fatalities over the past 24 hours, bringing its death toll to 194.
The number of people diagnosed with the new coronavirus now exceeds 106,000 worldwide with several new countries reporting their first cases. Nearly 3,600 people have died.
In Doha, taking over from Ramy Allahoum, this is Hamza Mohamed.
Here are the latest updates:
Sunday, March 8
- 20:30 – GMT – Qatar bans arrivals from 14 countries
- 18:25 GMT – US state of Oregon declares state of emergency
- 18:00 GMT – France reports three new deaths, toll hits 19
- 17:30 GMT – Italy: Coronavirus death toll in Lombardy region jumps to 366
- 17:00 GMT – Switzerland: Patient dies from virus, death toll hits two
- 15:10 GMT – Iraq protesters call for protective medical items to fight virus
- 14:40 GMT – Cancel big public events to stop virus spread: German health minister
- 14:30 GMT – Netherlands: Coronavirus death toll jumps to three
- 14:20 GMT – Royal Air Maroc suspends flight to Venice, Milan
- 14:10 GMT – Trump: ‘Fake news media’ making US look bad amid virus spread
- 13:30 GMT – Saudi Arabia: Authorities cordon off Qatif region
- 12:30 GMT – Qatar records three new coronavirus cases
- 12:10 GMT – Moscow threatens prison for those who fail to self-isolate
- 12:00 GMT – Hong Kong records third coronavirus death
- 11:40 GMT – Vietnman coronavirus cases jump to 29
- 11:15 GMT – Iran death toll climbs to 194
- 11:00 GMT – Number of coronavirus cases in South Africa rises to three
- 10:00 GMT – Saudi Arabia confirms four more cases
- 09:50 GMT – Czech PM: Italy should ban citizens from travelling to Europe
- 08:45 GMT – Bulgaria registers two additional cases
- 08:25 GMT – Bahrain’s Formula 1 Grand Prix closed to fans
- 08:10 GMT – Moldova confirms first coronavirus case
- 07:20 GMT – US cruise ship allowed to dock in Oakland, California
- 06:30 GMT – Maldives records first two cases
- 05:55 GMT – Death toll rises to six in China hotel collapse
- 05:40 GMT – Malaysia, Thailand bar cruise ship
- 05:01 GMT – First case of coronavirus in US capital
- 04:30 GMT – 10 dead in China quarantine hotel collapse
- 03:25 GMT – Italy quarantine will apply to 16 million people; remain until April 3
- 02:45 GMT – South Korea to ration face masks
- 02:15 GMT – Rescue efforts continue at collapsed hotel in China
- 02:00 GMT – Hubei issues digital clean bills of health for people to get back to work
- 01:45 GMT – Conservative Political Action Conference confirms attendee tested positive
- 01:36 GMT – Elderly man becomes Australia’s third COVID-19 death
- 01:27 GMT – South Korea reports 93 more cases of coronavirus
- 01:17 GMT – Bulgaria reports first cases of coronavirus
- 01:15 GMT – Argentina confirms first COVID-19 death in Latin America
- 00:42 GMT – China cases continue to slow
- 00:35 GMT – New York state declares emergency as US death toll rises
- 00:00 GMT – Italy planning to impose unprecedented quarantine
SOURCE: AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES